DARNELL’S DELCO NOMS —The critically acclaimed play, Cherchez La Femme: A Musical Excuse, written by August Darnell and Vivien Goldman, that ran earlier this year at NYC’s La Mama, has been nominated for 6 Audelco Awards.
The VIV Awards, the annual Vivian Robinson/Audelco Recognition, are the only formally established awards presented to the black theatre community. Audelco (Audience Development Committee, Inc.) was established and incorporated in 1973 by the late Vivian Robinson, to stimulate interest in, and support of performing arts in black communities.
The nominations are:
* OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL – FEMALE – Traci Michelle
* OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL –MALE – Isaac Gay
* OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL – MALE – CB Murray
* DIRECTOR/MUSICAL PRODUCTION – Angie Kristic (Cherchez La Femme: A Musical Excuse)
* CHOREOGRAPHY – Kyndra “Binkie” Reevey (Cherchez La Femme: A Musical Excuse)
* MUSICAL PRODUCTION OF THE YEAR – Cherchez La Femme: A Musical Excuse
Said Darnell of the recognition: “I am so pleased to receive this news. Now I can truly add ‘playwright’ to my resume. That is something I have desired for a very long time. Good fortune put me in the right place at the right time … with the right team.”
AUDELCO celebrates 44 years of Excellence in Black Theatre this year at the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre at Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th St. in New York on Monday, November 21 at 7:30 pm.